Great Workout Programs

Friday, August 2, 2013

Does running hurt your knees or not?

Came across this earlier today when I was working on a new squid lens.  I dropped out of the running game years ago when my Dystonia kicked in and made it unbearable.  So, I haven’t really kept up with the latest research like I did when I ran. 

So, I was a bit surprised when I discovered that now they’re saying running isn’t bad for your knees.  From my own experience, and I’m sure others would say the same, it does a lot of damage to the knees in time.

One of the things that worries me when new research like this comes out, is that people might believe it applies to everyone, and they’ll head out the door and start running.

Dr. Roberts nips that in the bud by explaining this doesn’t apply to you if you already have knee problems from injuries, and the like.   He also brings a persons family history into play. 

It’s a good, short read, and worth checking out!

 

How Bad Is Running For Your Knees?

The old school of thought on running was that it is bad for your knees. There are studies showing that runners are not at greater risk and some suggesting that runners have less risk of degenerative knee problems. I do not know of studies comparing the incidence or rate of degenerative knee problems in runners compared to other sports like swimming…”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment