The holidays are coming up, and whether you're in shape or not, you'll probably put on a couple extra pounds. The easiest way to avoid it is portion control. Those two evil words really are the only key to keeping off the weight.
But let's be honest. It takes super human strength to use portion control when you're surrounded by candy, pumpkin pie, ooo... that delicious turkey dressing, cookies, etc.
Of course, you could always try motivating yourself by saying, "If I put it on, I have to take it off." But we all know how successful that is.
So, here's three exercises you can do that will help you shed that excess turkey weight and get a flat tummy.
- Lie face down on the floor.
- Prop your upper body up on your forearms so that your elbows are at a ninety degree angle and positioned directly below your shoulders.
Let's do it:
- Lift your body up off the floor so that your lower body is supported by your toes, while your upper body remains supported by your elbows.
- Squeeze your glutes and core to avoid sagging.
- Your body should be in a straight line, no arching or drooping through your back.
Hold for 10 seconds. Rest 10 seconds. Repeat 4 more times. (Build up to holding for 30 seconds, with a 10 second break.)
To kick this exercise up a notch, try lifting one leg at a time. You can make it a little tougher by lifting and holding.
- Beginning in the same position as you did in the pank, rollover onto your right side, with your left leg on top of your right.
- Keep your torso supported with your right forearm
Let's do it:
- Lift your hips so your body is in a straight line from your head to your toes.
- You can either put your left hand on your hip, or stretch your right arm up in the air.
- Squeeze your glutes to keep from sagging at the hips.
Hold for 10 seconds. 10 second break. Repeat 5 times each side.
Be careful not to allow your torso to rotate.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Interlace your fingers behind your head. (not behind your neck).
Let's do it:
- Squeeze your abdominals and lift your right knee toward your left elbow, while at the same time bringing your left elbow down toward your right knee.
- Touch the two joints together, pause, return to start.
- Alternate sides for one set.
See how many you can do in 30 seconds, while still retaining correct form. Take a 30 second break. Repeat 4 more times.
Toss in a jump rope, or burpees, and you've got quite a workout! To get an idea of just how challenging it is, give this mini-workout a shot!
30 seconds of jump rope (use an invisible rope if you don't have one)
3 rounds equals a set. After 3 rounds, take a 30 - 60 second break. Then, go at it for another 3 - 5 sets.
Lastly, don't forget to stretch before and after every workout.
[This is the latest article I published at ezine articles. If you enjoyed the article, please pass the link along. Thanks! http://ezinearticles.com/?3-Simple-Exercises-to-Help-Fight-the-Holiday-Bulge&id=8089357]